Friday, February 20, 2009

Tuffers

A little piece of my heart broke this morning - and for those of you who have had a faithful furry companion love you unconditionally over the years, I'm sure you can relate.

We brought Tuffy home almost 14 years ago. I remember the day as if it were yesterday. He was the cutest in the bunch - and we knew he was our pup immediately. He was able to carry a tennis ball in his tiny little mouth, and was ready to play from the get go. We drove him home - and he sat in my mom's lap the whole way. He was part of our family during such formative years - and I believe I'm mourning the passing of those in some way - as much as I am him.

He is along side of Ryan in just about every single first day of school picture, he's nestled between us in holiday photos, and looking too cute in photos of just him (see profile) and posing with his other dog buddies. He never knew a stranger....and when he went out on his adventures (unbeknownst to us) he always made new friends. He was there for me when I was going through some pretty rough times....always willing to lick my tears away. He loved Ryan, but was always quick to let him know that in spite of his small size, HE was the alpha dog.

I take some small comfort in the fact that I was home alongside him, petting him as he took his final breaths, trying to give some measure of reassurance that this was supposed to be.

But it's still a tough day to be sure. And I will miss him.

5 comments:

Rochelle said...

Oh Peg...my heart is sad for you.
I know how hard it is. Pumpkin is 13 and she is getting very frail.
I'm glad you were able to be with him at the end. I've always made Darrell do that part but I really don't think he will be able to do it alone with Pumpkin. She's like our child and I'm sure you felt the same way about Tuffy. I'll have to tell Zach :^(

Anonymous said...

Miss Peg, my heart is breaking for you. I know how special Tuffy was for your family, and I know the two of you had become quite the companions the past several months. :(

Anonymous said...

oh peg, i'm so sorry.

Anonymous said...

Peg, I'm so sad to hear this:(

Peg said...

Thank you so much for your words of support. I really appreciate it.